Monday 5 December 2011

On the Edge of the World

Here in Invercargill for my last week of volunteering.  Not going to lie, I am so out of this world ready to be finished with planting trees and such.  I think it's safe to say my carbon footprint from the states here is significantly smaller from when I first started in Punakaiki.  It's just Debbie, a woman who tells it like it is from the UK, and I as volunteers this week.  Last week we were staying in an itty bitty town, Berwick, right outside of a small town, Mosgiel, which is then right outside of Dunedin, city.  I saw more sheep than I did people that week.  We were staying at the Sinclair Wetlands, which is run by an older man, Mr. Johnny McIntyre.  A flirtatious little fellah!  Gorgeous scenery there.
Then, this week we are working in a town outside of Invercargill.  On Sunday, when we first arrived, we went to the very bottom of the South Island.  Literally.  I saw the sign to the South Pole.  The land is sliced off into massive cliffs and spiky rocks at the bottom.  This is where I took my last photo.  My Nikon decided to commit suicide right then and there.  I was simply too close to the edge.  I saw it leap from my grip in slow motion out of sight.  I almost went after it but sanity thankfully returned to my head and told me the safest bet was not to simply leap after it.  I started pacing.  Speechless, I ran to what seemed safe enough to slide/scramble down to where I might find the remnants of my camera.  Thank God it wasn't high tide or my camera and I would have been well on our way to Antarctica.  I had thrown my shoes off and went bare foot hopping from one boulder to another in search.  I found the body separate from the lens.  The only thing left that was still in tact was my memory card.  Thank you for that!  I now wander around amelessly spotting shots of scenery without a lens.  However, on Thursday I head to Queenstown and am extremely pumped for that.  I've got to find a way to document that...
Debbie, me, and Helen on our way over Arthur's Pass (the most extraordinary road in the world) from Puni headed down the East Coast.


It's very weird to think I'm coming home so soon.  I have to say, I'm not ready to go back to the States.  Extremely not ready.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, Al. What an adventure. We people from the States will try to make it easy on you, mate. 12 days and counting. :)))) Mum

    ReplyDelete